hang on startx with nvidia / also with emu10kx

Eric Anderson anderson at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 14 05:06:33 PDT 2007

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FreeBSD exxodus.fedaykin.here 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #9: Thu Sep 13 22:46:14 BRT 2007     lioux at exxodus:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/LIOUX  i386
>
> 	-CURRENT as of today September 13th 2007 with latest ports.
> xorg works fine if I launch it with tightvnc. However, the system
> hangs if I try to startx using the nvidia driver. The same happens
> if I try to kldload emu10kx.
>
> 	How do I force the system to issue a kernel dump when it
> hangs? I want to be able to provide a proper backtrace of the system
> if possible. :)
>
> 	Are these known issues?

I have the same issue.  It has been happening for me for a while, so I
switched to the nv driver (which is terribly slow for me).

I was able to get a dump, by having all the debugger bits in the kernel
config, and when it locked up, I simply typed "call doadump" [enter],
then "reset" [enter].  I got my dump, even though I couldn't see the
typing.  I have yet to do anything with the dump :(

Eric