7 release timetable

Thu Sep 13 00:02:15 PDT 2007

Quoting Aristedes Maniatis <ari at ish.com.au> (from Thu, 13 Sep 2007
09:22:10 +1000):

> I don't want this to sound like a "is it ready yet?" email, but as we
> are rolling out some new servers in the next months I'd like to get
> some idea of whether it is time for us to start testing hardware and
> configurations against current, ready for deployment in the not distant
> future. In particular I am very interested in the excellent
> improvements for SMP and mysql performance.

The source of 7-current is frozen. This means all changes have to be
approved by our release engineering team. If you test _now_ and report
problems you may see, the chance is high that those problems get fixed
before 7.0 is released. Some people already use 7-current in
production (but this is not recommended by the developers of FreeBSD).

> * The bug reports at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi
> don't seem to correlate with activity on current. Is there a separate
> bug tracker so that users like myself can see what known bugs remain
> prior to release? Other open source projects I am affiliated with (for
> example those at Apache) use bug tracking databases in this way. Or is
> FreeBSD a little more organic with each developer keeping their own
> todo list.

There's no separate bug tracker. Typically bugs for -current are
reported on this mailinglist and people either directly have a look at
it, or request that people open up a bug report in our bug tracker.
The critical bugs are currently tracked by the release engineering
team. There was even a commit to the webpages which contains an
initial list of known problems prior to beta1, but this list didn't
contain all bugs which where reported to current at . I don't know if the
list of known defects the release engineering team has is the same as
what is available in CVS.

> * Is there a set release schedule and known bugs notes for snapshots?

No, there's nothing like this for snapshots. This would be too much
work. We only have this for releases.

> I'd like to try a snapshot but I don't know whether to wait a
> day/week/month for the next one. Or are they released just when someone
> thinks the source is in a good overall state?

They are released periodically. AFAIK there's no runability check
before a snapshot goes out, the only requirement is that it builds
correctly.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.