diffuse audio through modem

Diomidis Spinellis dds at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 7 09:01:24 PDT 2007

alexandre.delay at free.fr wrote:
> I'm searching the way to call, from my freebsd box connected to a serial modem,
> a phone number and diffuse audio (wav, mp3 or wathever).
>
> Does anyone has a light to help me find the way?

I have used vgetty (and in particular Perl scripts running under the
provided vm program) to have my home machine call my cellhpone through
its serial modem and play back pre-recorded messages. Look at
/usr/ports/comms/mgetty+sendfax and in particular at voice/vm.  In
theory, you could also use a PBX program, like Asterisk, but I haven't
any experience in interfacing Asterisk with a serial modem.

Diomidis Spinellis - htp://www.spinellis.gr