nfe(4) not working on asus m2n32sli-deluxe

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 17:39:50 PDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 02:58:54PM -0300, Mario Ferreira wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 >   I tried installing FreeBSD 7.0-Current 200708 i386 snapshot on a
 > asus m2n32sli-deluxe wifi edition but I had some issues:
 >
 >  1) on board wlan adapter RTL8187_Wireless not supported
 >  2) on board lan adapter NForce 590 SLI MCP does not work
 >
 >   The lack of support for RTL8187_Wireless is not a problem for now.
 > However, the NForce 590 SLI MCP Gigabit adapter is an issue.
 >
 >   The nfe(4) driver detects the network carrier but it never ever
 > detects the media settings. I tried hand setting media/mediaopt but it
 > did not help.
 >
 > media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
 > status: active
 >
 >   Any suggestions? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Your dmesg shows Marvell 88E8116 PHY. It's known to me the PHY driver
, e1000phy(4), has unresolved issues. Some variants of the 88E8116 are
well supported by the e1000phy(4) driver but other variants are not.
ATM I have no idea what's the root cause of the issue  due to lack of
PHY documentation and hardware. Some time ago, I've sent several
patches to a user who reported the issue to me but I've failed to make
it work. The only clue I know is ukphy(4) works for auto-sensing media
type(Manual media selection with ukphy(4) didn't work for 88E8116).
I vaguely guess it's related with power down mode of the MAC/PHY but
working without real hardware made it difficult for me to fix.
See PR kern/114086 for possible workaround.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon