Problem with ATAPI device on JMicron JMB363 on 7.0-BETA1

Nathan Butcher n-butcher at fusiongol.com
Wed Oct 31 18:58:12 PDT 2007

An update to the current situation. I rebuilt my kernel with the latest
ata-chipset and atapi-cd changes from Soren, and now the JMB363 chipset
has SATA support in RELENG_7.

My SATA DVD drive plugged into the JMB363 SATA port was able to mount
and read from a DVD in AHCI mode - so this part is now working!

Unfortunately I was unable to burn a CD with the burncd command. I got
the following kernel errors:-

acd0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE_BIG timed out
acd0: FAILURE - PREVENT_ALLOW timed out
and well as a few SET FEATURES TRANSFER issues

So mounting and reading works, but burning doesn't appear to yet.

On a seperate note, having a blank CD in the drive while booting the
FreeBSD kernel causes GEOM_LABEL to stall. The kernel tries to find a
geom label on the blank CD, and since there isn't one - it stalls the
kernel and the entire process.

I also tried out my Promise SATA 300 TX4 again to see if any ata changes
have fixed the device. Unfortunately it's support is still horribly
broken, and is probably worse then before. (ZFS checksum errors galore)