Problems with gjournal or something else.

韓家標 Bill Hacker askbill at conducive.net
Wed Oct 31 10:25:50 PDT 2007

Artem Kuchin wrote:
>>> Then did:
>>>
>>> newfs -J -b 8192 -f 1024 -g 50000 -h 20 -i 40960 /dev/twed1s1f
>>>
>>> gjournal load
>>> gjournal label -f /dev/twed1s1f
>>> tunefs -J enable -n disable /dev/twed1s1f
>>> mount -o noatime /dev/twed1s1f.journal /NEW/suit
>>
>> It's wrong order. See gjournal(8) manual page, EXAMPLES section. You
>> cannot create file system and then put journal on the same partition.
>> gjournal would warn you about that, but you used force (-f) option.
>
> Here is what man says:
>
> Configure gjournaling on an existing file system, but only if gjournal
> allows this (i.e.: if the last sector is not already used by the file
> system):
>
> umount /dev/da0s1d
> gjournal label da0s1d da0s1e
> tunefs -J enable -n disable mount -o async /dev/da0s1d.journal /mnt
> mount /dev/da0s1d /mnt
>
> However, this simple does not work.
> gjournal label da0s1d da0s1e - WILL FAIL ON EXISTING FS!
> Need to use -f switch for this.
>
> So, those whole thing will look like this
>
> 1:  newfs /dev/da0s1d here we have our  EXISTING filesyetm
> 2: gjournal load
> 3: gjournal label -f /dev/da0s1d 4: tunefs -J enable -n disable /dev/da0s1d
> 5: mount -o async /dev/da0s1d.journal /mnt
>
> Now, when you start to fill /mnt you will get error=5 with offset out of
> range
> of the filesystem, beceause metadata for the filesystem is used  from
> /dev/da0s1f (step1) but gjournal used 1GB for the journal.
>
> This error goes away if i add additional step between 4  and 5
> 4.5: newfs /dev/da0s1d.journal
>
> question1:
>
> 4: tunefs -J enable -n disable /dev/da0s1d
> really must be for /dev/da0s1d or for /dev/da0s1d.journal
>
> question2:
> man says
> gjournal label da0s1d da0s1e && tunefs -J enable -n disable && mount -o
> async /dev/da0s1d.journal /mnt || mount /dev/da0s1d /mnt
>
> why there is no fs argument in tunefs? mistake?

Ah .. does it not expect a raw block device / portion? With no (other) fs type?

> what does
> 'mount -o async /dev/da0s1d.journal /mnt || mount /dev/da0s1d /mnt;
> mean? (note ||)
>
> A couple more questions:
> 1) What size of  journal to pick?
> 2) How stable is the whole thing?
>
> --
> Artem

Added question ..

Is this apparent conflict [ occuring | will occur]  [because | if/as/when ] the
device has already been given a geom family 'label'.

My specific interest is gjournal & gmirror RAID combination(s) and how/if/which
can/may come first. Or NOT.

Thanx,

Bill