New-bus unit wiring via hints..

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sat Oct 27 16:01:37 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 03:09:38PM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2007, at 2:42 PM, Erik Trulsson wrote:

>>> Exactly. Anyone who "knows" that COM1 is at 0x3f8 while
>>> the computer right in front of them clearly states that
>>> COM1 is at 0x2f8 is in denial.
>>
>> If I say in the BIOS setup screen that the first serial port is
>> to use 0x3f8, then that is the port which I want sio0 to attach to,
>> regardless of in which order FreeBSD sees them enumerated.
>
> What is the first serial port in the BIOS?

It is the port which is labeled 'Serial Port 1' or something similar.
Normally corresponds to the physical port on the mainboard which is
similarily labeled either directly on the board or in the manual.

> Is that not the one
> that's enumerated first?

Not necessarily, no.  It should be, but is not always.

BIOSs are fairly often buggy or get things wrong.  Being able to override
the BIOS when it is wrong is a Good Thing.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se