bsdtar can't handle files >8GB

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Mon Oct 22 12:03:48 PDT 2007

While taking a look at bin/9123 I found that although pax seems to have
gained the ability to extract files over 8GB, bsdtar doesn't seem to be
able to any more.  I'm running 7.0-PRERELEASE from 14th Oct.  I created
a 12GB file and tarred it up using "tar cvf tmpfile.tar tmpfile".
Attempting to extract it using tar gave the following error:

 > tar xvf tmpfile.tar
x tmpfile
tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

I've not verified that the checksums match, but pax extracted the tar
file without any errors, and produced a file of the same size as the
original.

--
Bruce Cran