which version to install for next 2-3 years?

syle ishere syleishere at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 20 09:21:54 PDT 2007

I have a coloed box, OS on their now is ancient redhat 9.0, was thinking
about new SMP support and mysql speed advancements in 7.0. I'd just hate to
install 6.2 on it right now and thats way it stays for next 2-3 years if 7.0
is stable enough to use right now. I threw away freebsd boxes on 4.x
branches because of SMP issues of it only using 1 processor for mysql etc,
but I see alot has changed again. Server is a dell 2650, 8 gigs of ram, dual
3.2ghz xeon cpu's, 6 scsi drives. I use this box mainly for apache/php,
mysql, qmail,bind, perl and asterisk c development time to time.

If I download latest snapshot, cvsup latest 7release and just make world etc
on it, would it be alright? I see the new scheduler for 7.0 had some nice
benchmarks for mysql.

Dan.