Very slow HP 8 Internal Port SAS HBA with RAID 0, 1 on Hot Plug SAS/SATA Models (LSI SAS1068 - mpt)

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 18 02:15:31 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 12:09:18PM +0300, Stefan Lambrev wrote:
> May be I have wrong impression that mirror should increase read speed
> almost twice compared to
> single disk, but I forget that bonnie++ was run as single thread.
> May be if I start it with concurrency=2 then I'll see the real performance
> of the mirror ?
> Or should I move to the thread to performance@  :)

The easiest way for me to describe it would be to refer you to the
Wikipedia article.  See the section "Other benefits of mirroring":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_mirror

Generally speaking, RAID 1 sequential read across 2 disks should be
slightly higher than the same disk in a JBOD configuration -- keyword
is "slightly".  RAID 0 (striping) is what gives you the immense
improvement, but I'm sure you know how risky RAID 0 is...