Broken su in current - trying to fix myself, help needed!

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Thu Oct 18 00:49:10 PDT 2007

Hi,

韓家標 Bill Hacker wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 11:26:48PM +0400, Artem Kuchin wrote:
>>> I have rerun all configs and  started jails - still works. Then i
>>> remembered
>>> that i have always run this script fro midnight commander.
>>> Started mc
>>> Pressed ENTER on this script and it got suspended.
>>>
>>> Now i am lost, whose problem is this? su's or mc's? or both?
>>> If i remove su from the script and run simply
>>> system('echo heck');
>>> from mc it work fine. With su it gets suspended.
>>
>> This bug (or another one with identical symptoms) affects the 'su'
>> commands within the ports build system if you are using tcsh or zsh
>> and maybe related to the gdb-with-tcsh problems that have been
>> reported.  It appeared in -current in the middle of 2006.  The
>> suggestions to date have been that there's something wrong with the
>> signal handling in the kernel but you have opened a new line of attack.
>>

> It doesn't seem to 'bite' when invoking a build from a 'seat' using
> bash or csh or sh.
>
> Keeping in mind that scripting WITIHIN Makefiles always has its own
> specification as to which shell is wanted, I wouldn't expect it to
> matter.
> Unless the sh and csh binaries have been removed or over-written?
>
> If someone can tell me which ports exhibit the alleged problem, I'll
> try it and see what happens (no 5.X, but otherwise have 4.11 thru
> 8-CURRENT ready to hand)..
>
> I will not be surprised if it occurs when building as an 'ordinary
> user' and does NOT occur when building as root....
>
> BNL (BSD's Not Linux)....
>
> Bill

I see something similar on all ports that have OPTIONS (make config).
Here is example (do this as user member of wheel, but not root):

#cd /usr/ports/misc/mc
#make config
===>  Switching to root credentials to create /var/db/ports/mc
===>  Returning to user credentials
zsh: suspended (tty output)  make config

FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #5: Fri Oct  5 14:05:56 EEST 2007
On FreeBSD-6 everything works fine.

--

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev