GigaByte GA-MA69VM USB+mouse problem [WAS: AMD690G/V issues with 7-current (sata, usb)]

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 08:40:59 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 11:04 -0400, 韓家標 Bill Hacker wrote:

> The rarity of other similar reports HERE on the list suggest that whatever it
> is, it is probably not FreeBSD code.

I'm thinking opposite - it definitely is FreeBSD code (in combination
with whatever AMD and/or GigaByte internally do with their USB
controller and BIOS).

Two facts:
1. This is a really generic low budget A4Tech mouse, I buy this single
model for about 5 years, because I love their design (they don't have
any) and their functions (they don't have any). I've had them attached
everywhere, from Pentium II, PIII, P4, Athlon, AM2 boards and this is
the first time the mouse doesn't work. If there was something really
special about this particular model, I'd be aware of that for some years
already..

2. Windows 2000 can initialize the mouse without any problems (and with
no specific drivers). FreeBSD can do that too, *after* the mouse is
plugged in when the OS is already running. I wouldn't argue if this is
GigaByte BIOS's fault or not, or if FreeBSD should do something more (or
less) during the initialization, this is not my field of expertise. But
if this is the case that FreeBSD just refuses to take away control of
the device previously initialized by the BIOS and it can be safely done
(see Windows 2000), then maybe a systcl for such cases, or at least a
quirk would be a nice thing to have.

m.