AMD690G/V issues with 7-current (sata, usb)

W B Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Fri Oct 12 23:22:44 PDT 2007

Michal Varga wrote:
> Yesterday I bought an AMD690-based motherboard for a 7-current desktop -
>
> http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2437&ProductName=GA-MA69VM-S2

*Snip*

> USB:
> Second issue is with USB, the initialization fails every time when there
> is mouse plugged in prior to FreeBSD boot (but not if the mouse is
> plugged later).

Similar. ASUS P5K, GigaByte G33-DS3R.

Option the USB mouse support OFF in the BIOS.

Otherwise, though detected, it is *ALSO* presumed to be 'in use', since the BIOS
deosn't just 'enable' it - it actually starts it, and before the OS boots.

If NOT claimed by the BIOS, FreeBSD will find and use it from the defaults in
/etc/rc. No need to even bother with an /etc/rc.conf entry.

Xorg (if you use it) will generally be au fait with that, even with the mouse
active in a CLI session before you startx or a wm.

The OS it doing as it should do here - honoring the pre-existing resource claim.

Bill