em0: watchdog timeout ...

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:02:12 PDT 2007

On 10/10/07, Wilkinson, Alex <alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the following NIC:
>
> em0 at pci5:4:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x10018086 chip=0x10268086 rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     = '82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
>     class      = network
>     subclass   = ethernet
>
> And am consistently experiencing:
>
>    em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
>    em0: link state changed to DOWN
>    em0: link state changed to UP
>    em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
>    em0: link state changed to DOWN
>    em0: link state changed to UP
>    em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
>    em0: link state changed to DOWN
>    em0: link state changed to UP
>
> Anything I can do to help debug this ?

Well, add more detail for one, like timestamps on these events,
do they happen once a minute, hour, day?

You posted to current so I assume thats what you are running,
is it the latest?

What is your network like, for instance what is the link partner
to this NIC, what kind of traffic, etc, etc..

Jack