ULE/yielding patch for testing.

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Oct 6 11:11:06 PDT 2007

Marc Fonvieille wrote:

>>> I find the lag occuring with the 4BSD scheduler as well. dailytech.com is
>>> a particularly good site at lagging the system (though a great website).
>>> Perhaps this isn't scheduler related?
>>>

> I don't think its scheduler related, last Jeff's changes helped a bit
> the things with ULE but I also noticed the lag with 4BSD.
>

>> I assume you checked whether you are touching swap.
>>

> In my case, the swap is never used:
>
> Mem: 272M Active, 354M Inact, 157M Wired, 28M Cache, 110M Buf, 178M Free
> Swap: 2023M Total, 2023M Free

    Your problem is most likely Flash/Javascript based (I'm basing my
theory on the fact that there's a lot of Ajax related stuff on the site).

    No matter what OS you have, if a website's slow (and it's not
because you don't have OpenGL support in your X-server), slowness will
remain constant. It's just the way unfortunately that browsers are designed.

    NoScript combined with Adblock will help quite a bit though for
whitelisting domains and javascript/flash content.

-Garrett