IPv6 support for tables in ipfw?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Oct 5 11:31:26 PDT 2007

> Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:02:22 -0700
> From: Julian Elischer <julian at elischer.org>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > At this time the use of tables in ipfw is limited to IPv4. Is anyone
> > looking at adding IPv6 address capability?
>

> I am
> but it's not 'soon' on my list.

I am on travel for a couple of weeks, so I may try and get a start on
this while at airports or on planes.

Tables are very useful for allowing an IDS set up blocks on the
fly. Right now I am limited to a new rule for every block and that is
not very portable (since I don't want to step on existing rules) and
very messy since, except for the address, all of the rules are
identical.

I'm using tables right now for V4, but I really need to have v6 support
soon. I'm just not real sure what 'soon' is. I hope it's different from
yours.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)