viral license free fork of freebsd

LI Xin delphij at delphij.net
Thu Oct 4 22:23:33 PDT 2007

Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I am intrested in putting together a version of FreeBSD (at least the
> non-ports portion) that is 100% viral license (gpl and lgpl [not
> techinically viral but I don't trust it]) free... where would be a
> good starting point on this project?

Set
MK_GNU           = no, and
MK_GNU_SUPPORT   = no?

Well, if you want a moderate amount of work you may want to try
replacing sort(1) with the old BSD one, and optimize it.  Also some
*roff stuff, etc.  If you are really energyic then you will want to join
a project like llvm or so for a better compiler.

My opinion is that, while licensing issue is important, but there are a
lot of other factors that must be taken into account.  If a new piece of
software has better code quality, better performance, etc., then it
would be a big bonus over "just with a license we liked" :-)  Optimizing
libc/regex might be a good start if you want to go this way.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!