Scheduler selection for web hosting

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Thu Oct 4 12:38:36 PDT 2007

Artem Kuchin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have read that in 7-Current there are two schedulers.
> 4BSD - which, AFAIK, is a renamed new SMP scheduler, but i'm not sure
> ULE
> 7-current amd64 is actually seems to be VERY stable on hardware and
> software we use, so, we want to move it to production servers and
> want to get max perfomance from it for web hosting.

4BSD is the original Uniprocesor scheduler with some small hacks to make
it run (suboptimally) in SMP.

ULE is a new scheduler designed to take SMP into account. It is hoped to be
stable enough for most use in 7.0 and is of course more efficient in SMP.
For UP there si not a huge gain for ULE, so one might stick with 4BSD
for stability for a while but for SMP, ULE is probably the way to go,
with a 4BSD kernel precompiled and ready to run "just in case". Hopefully
you won't need it. most haven't.

> As, as i know, scheduler is a very important thing when i comes to
> perfomance in havy loaded really multitasking system. We are having
> about 900 processes in about 20 jails.

in 7.0 I'd go with ULE. in 6.x it's not so easy.

> So, what is the difference between the two? Which seems to be better
> for hosting? Is ULE bugfree and stable enogh for this?

basically, yes.