Need motherboard for home fileserver

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Tue Oct 2 17:32:05 PDT 2007

* Dmitry Marakasov (amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru) wrote:

Thanks for you replies so far. Now after some digging I understand a bit
what I actually need.

Well, I hoped to get a SocketAM2 board for AthlonX2, as it is 30-40%
cheaper than Core2Duo with similar performance, but most of AM2
motherboards use nForce chipset, which is unsupported by CURRENT.
The  only solution I've found is M2N32-SLI (thanks Craig), but I'll
need to buy video card and Intel Gbit NIC.

Though Core 2 Duo CPUs are more expensive, choice of motherboards is
much wider, and they are generally cheaper than M2N32-SLI, so price
of AMD/Intel platforms is nearly equal. I've found some MB's with
integrated video and Intel ethernet: ASUS P5B-VM DO, Intel DG33BUC,
Intel DG33FBC. I think I'll buy one of those, but just to be sure,
are those statements right:
- Marvell/NVidia NICs suck, and I am right that I definitely need Intel.
  (what about RealTec, btw?)
- ICH8DO should work as well as ICH8 and G33 should work as well as G965
  (didn't find menton of ICH8DO in src/sys/dev/ata/ata-chipset.c)
- ADI*/Realtec(ALC*)/Sigmatel(STAC*) HDA CODECs provide more or less
  equal sound quality. And it can be considered `good' to
  non-audiophiles.

--
Best regards,
  Dmitry Marakasov               mailto:amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru