ZFS corrupting data, even just sitting idle

Craig Boston cb at severious.net
Tue Oct 2 14:22:02 PDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 11:05:44PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> For me it's just quite interesting to observe how people live for years
> with h/w corrupting their data and only putting ZFS there reveals the
> problems. I wonder how many strange UFS-related problems/panics reported
> over the years are due to buggy hardware.

I suspect some of it could be due to ZFS making multi-disk (>3) setups
more attractive.

For example: A controller / drive combination may work perfectly fine
with UFS on a single disk for years with no corruption, but add 1 or 2
more and it stresses out the power supply and causes strange things.

I recall reading about bugs in cheap ATA controllers that were only
tickled when trying to send simultaneous commands to multiple drives,
for instance.  IIRC a few of them showed up when gmirror started to
become popular.

Craig