SCHED_ULE on desktop system

Oliver Herold oliver at akephalos.de
Mon Oct 1 13:45:22 PDT 2007

I don't know whether it's important but sometimes Xorg 7.3 (in current) runs
just with 100% cpu time. I have to ssh the machine to kill it. I'm using the
nVidia driver. But so far I don't have any performance problems with SCHED_ULE.

Cheers, Oliver

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 10:07:00PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 12:51:59PM -0700, David E. Thiel wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 08:54:54PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> > > I use nvidia or nv driver (nvidia one is a bit less worse).  The lag can
> > > even appears with 4% of CPU usage according to top(1).
> > > Thanks to your remarks and my tests, I'm now sure it's scheduler
> > > independent.  It seems 7-CURRENT is slower than 6.X regarding I/O :(
> > > For info the box is a 1.2GHz Athlon with 1GB of RAM and swap is never
> > > used.
> >
> > This may sound like a silly question, but what terminal emulator are you
> > using? I found that xfce's Terminal gave me awful performance, taking a
> > really long time to redraw, but xterm and roxterm sped things up a lot. I
> > think for me part of this is related to the nvidia driver breakage with
> > the new Xorg. Can you see if you can duplicate that behavior with xterm?
> >

> I use x11/rxvt-devel but the lag also exists on Xorg 7.2.  I feel it has
> nothing to do with Xorg.
> On other hand, it's true any GTK based application is most of time worse
> in term of performance.  Building a port can freeze or slow down
> webpages loading in Firefox...
>
> --
> Marc

'Tis more blessed to give than receive; for example, wedding presents.
		-- H. L. Mencken