Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

Barney Cordoba barney_cordoba at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 14:29:10 PST 2007

--- Søren Schmidt <sos at deepcore.dk> wrote:

> Barney Cordoba wrote:
> > Søren Schmidt wrote:
> >> This server has been running -current all the
> time
> >> with about biweekly
> >> updates, so it has made the transition all the
> way
> >> from about 6.1 to
> >> todays current without problems.

> were
> >>>

> >> Looks like a pattern, something outside of ATA
> also
> >> caused HW issues on
> >> some Promise controllers to appear in this
> period.
> >> Just checked and nothing in ATA changed in
> regards
> >> to either the HT1000
> >> or the Promise HW, its the same support code
> thats
> >> been there all the time.
> >> It could be a sideeffect of now having more fine
> >> grained locking etc,
> >> that makes these problems show up, your guess is
> as
> >> good as mine.
> >>
> >> Again, the sticky point is that if I cant
> reproduce
> >> a problem here its
> >> very hard to work on it, if not just plain
> >> impossible...
> >>

> > A sticky point on this end is that it will cost
> more
> > to ship you a system than the cost of the product;
> you
> > being in Europe and the US dollar sucking in
> general.
> > I'm also not going to be able to get authorization
> > ship overseas.
> >

> Maybe I can get the HW over here, paypal can be used
> to transfer the
> funds in that case...
> > Could you send me the config file you're using on
> your
> > 7.0 system with the H8SSL MB so I can give it a
> try
> > and see if its a config issue, or some device
> > conflict? You have the MB we're having trouble
> with,
> > so maybe we can learn enough to give you some
> ideas.I
> > have a system with an H8SSL-i that just plain
> doesn't
> > work with either SATA or IDE.
> >
> Sure find my config attached currently used with
> plain releng_7.
> It might be worth while to compare HW revisions etc
> as well as there
> might be differences.
> One thing you could try would be to install a 6.2
> system and if that
> still works just grap ATA from releng_6 as that is
> now the same as in
> -current and should fit almost cleanly into 6.2 as
> is, then give that a
> run. Depending on the outcome we'll know more about
> where to look for
> the problem.
>
> For references sake could we please get a list of
> the actual HW that
> people have problems with listed here, as detailed
> [...]

This is the HW info on the MBs we've tested. Both of
them run fine on 6.2 and both don't work at all in any
mode on 7.0. We've tried the 6.2 code in the 7.0
system, with the same problem. So it doesn't appear to
be the ATA code specifically.

Opteron / HT1000 details:

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron1000/HT1000/H8SSL-i2.cfm

Supermicro H8SSL-i2 Opteron 1000-series AM2
Motherboard with:
AMD Opteron 1222 3.0GHz Dual-Core CPU (running UP)
2x512MB Corsair DDR2 PC2-4200

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/HT2000/H8SSP-i.cfm

Supermicro H8SSP-i Opteron 200-series Motherboard
with:
AMD Opteron 244 1.8GHz CPU
2x512MB Corsair PC3200 Registered DDR

Barney