7.0-BETA3 kernel panic when unplugging USB stick

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 26 13:35:53 PST 2007

Matthias Schmidt wrote:
> He,
>
> * Graham Todd wrote:
>> I thought this usually occured since whenever a filesystem went missing
>> (e.g. even a "transient" one auto-mounted from a usb key) the kernel
>> would panic. It's inconvenient (& can be embarassing) but well known :)
>>
>> Is the crash you are experiencing caused by simply physically removing
>> an unrecognized usb device that is not mounted or somehow in use?
>
> Yes, the stick is completely unused.  I just plug the stick in, wait a
> second, unplug the stick and the panic occurs.  Besides that I cannot use the
> stick, because the vendor id as well as the product id are unknown.
>
> Regards
>
> 	Matthias

When the device is plugged in can you show us a pciconf -vl and perhaps
an excerpt from the dmesg? so that we might be able to add it to the
supported devicelist? (which might also resolve the problem, though that
would be a workaround imo since the machine should not panic because of
plugging in something and unplugging it, at least not when it's not
being used :-))

Cheers
remko

--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko at EFnet