Sysinstall fails to re-allocate disk space.

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri Nov 23 13:41:42 PST 2007

Am 23.11.2007 um 16:33 schrieb Gary Jennejohn:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:46:47 +0100
> "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.org> wrote:
>
>> Ken Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Subject: Re: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA3 Available
>>> The 7.0-BETA3 builds are now available.  If you would like to
>>> download
>>
>> I installed 7.0-BETA3-i386-disc1.iso (after checking md5 on cd) on
>> a 4G disc
>> I told sysinstall:
>> 	Use whole disc
>> 	A	For Auto defaults.
>> 		It allocated 9M for swap !
>> 		I deleted swap & /usr to get space,
>> 		Allocated 100M for swap.
>> 		It said not enough space (despite 3G free !)
>>

> My goodness, Julian. A 4GB disk.

To be fair, you can nowadays get 4 GB flash-"disks".
Or a micro-drive.
I'm still toying with the idea to build a home-server with something
like that (plus external "real" storage).
I suspect, though, this isn't what Julian hat in mind :-)

> I suspect that a n00b wouldn't dream of trying to use a disk that
> small.
> I suspect that he wouldn't even know that disks that small exist(ed).

"No, it's not 40 GB, it's 40 MB".

> Using such a small disk is something for an expert, in which case said
> expert would do the expert install and first allocate space for
> swap and
> the rest as one file system. That method would probably yield the
> desired
> results.

Indeed.

Greetings to Munich.