Sysinstall fails to re-allocate disk space.

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Fri Nov 23 08:10:44 PST 2007

Reference:

Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:46:47 +0100
> "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.org> wrote:
>
> > Ken Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Subject: Re: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA3 Available
> > > The 7.0-BETA3 builds are now available.  If you would like to download
> >
> > I installed 7.0-BETA3-i386-disc1.iso (after checking md5 on cd) on a 4G disc
> > I told sysinstall:
> > 	Use whole disc
> > 	A	For Auto defaults.
> > 		It allocated 9M for swap !
> > 		I deleted swap & /usr to get space,
> > 		Allocated 100M for swap.
> > 		It said not enough space (despite 3G free !)
> >

> My goodness, Julian. A 4GB disk.

Chuckle!  I've gots several, good for scratch testing. I was
installing to achieve 2 jobs at once: crude disk erase of system
with 4.10 + grabbing dmesg from 7 to to examine for sound interface,
before putting a bigger disc in if it had BSD recognised sound :-)

> I suspect that a n00b wouldn't dream of trying to use a disk that small.
> I suspect that he wouldn't even know that disks that small exist(ed).
>
> Using such a small disk is something for an expert, in which case said
> expert would do the expert install and first allocate space for swap and
> the rest as one file system. That method would probably yield the desired
> results.

You'r right of course Gary :-) Even on an install on a new big disk,
I bet the same systematic problem occurs, (maybe I'll try on spare
partition of my 500G), but point taken, I should have tried expert
mode.  Damn! Why didn't I do that ? Blush !  Thanks.

--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.