em0 panic: mutex em0 not owned

Attilio Rao attilio at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 22 04:09:06 PST 2007

2007/11/22, Benjamin Close <Benjamin.Close at clearchain.com>:
> Hi Folks,
>     With a recent current I'm now getting panics when em0 tries to come up:
>
> panic: mutex em0 not owned at ../../../kern/kern_mutex.c:144
>
> _mtx_assert() + 0xdc
> _callout_stop_safe()+0x5d
> em_stop() + 0x50 (if_em.c:2546)
> em_init_locked()+0x47 (if_em.c:1256)
> em_ioctl()+0x466
> ifhwioctl() + 0x75f
> ifioctl() +0xb0
> kern_ioctl() + 0xa3
>
> This is even after atillos, latest patch.

Yes, this is a race access to callout_stop() in em driver.
callout_stop() needs to be called with callout-specific lock held
otherwise you can get a race and this seems not happening. I just
inserted this assertions in order to catch bugs like these.
I have no time to double-check it, can you do?

Thanks,
Attilio