Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

Barney Cordoba barney_cordoba at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 04:26:19 PST 2007

--- Travis Mikalson <bofh at terranova.net> wrote:

> Pawel Worach wrote:
> > Barney Cordoba wrote:
> >> We can't get any flavor of Freebsd 7 to build or
> boot
> >> successfully on an HT1000 MB.  We have 2 distinct
> MBs
> >> and both have similar problems.
> >>
> >> I noticed in the linux driver that they have the
> >> HT1000 listed in their pci_quirks.c, and have
> >> "quirk_disable_all_msi" set for it. I have no
> idea
> >> what that means, but is FreeBSD doing something
> >> similar? I haven't tested linux on this system
> yet,
> >> but I hope to do so sometime this week.
> >>

> > At the loader(8) prompt set the following two
> tunables:
> > hw.pci.enable_msix=0
> > hw.pci.enable_msi=0
>
> I just tried this and it didn't help I'm afraid.
>
> In more detail: I hooked up my SATA disk to my
> HT1000 motherboard's
> onboard SATA controller with those two tunables set
> to 0 and my data was
> still horribly corrupted quite quickly. It's just as
> bad with or without
> those tunables set to 0.
>
> --
> TerraNovaNet Internet Services - Key Largo, FL
> Voice: (305)453-4011 x101   Fax: (305)451-5991
> http://www.terranova.net/

I've done a bit of research and it seems that this
chipset has been ignored for years now by the FreeBSD
team. Whats the reasoning for a major chipset used by
supermicro and Tyan not being supported after  years
of deployment?  This isn't some obscure chipset we
have here. This effects a major pct of opteron systems
deployed worldwide. I don't see how Freebsd 7 can be
released without this being fixed. It would be a major
black eye to the project to say "FreeBSD 7 is
released, but BTW, if you have a supermicro or tyan
opteron system it won't work at all".

Someone was complaining 2 years ago that they didn't
have hardware to do the work. Is the FreeBSD project
really so poorly funded that they can't get their
hands on a $150 motherboard for 2 years?

Barney