link() not increasing link count on NFS server

Mohan Srinivasan mohan_srinivasan at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 10:37:19 PST 2007

Robert

The code you cite, which launches a lookup on the receipt
of an EEXIST in nfs_link() is a horrible hack that needs
to be removed. I always wanted to remove it but did not
want to stir up controversy.

The logic predates the NFS/UDP duplicate request cache,
which all NFS servers will support. The NFS dupreq cache
caches the replies for non-idempotent operations and will
replay the cached response if a non-idenpotent operation
is retransmitted. This works around spurious errors in the
event the NFS response was lost, of course. The dupreq cache
appeared in most NFS server implementations in late 1989.

There is no justification for the logic that the FreeBSD NFS
client has at the end of these ops. In fact it breaks more
things that it fixes. At Yahoo!, we had a group that was
doing locking by creating lockfiles and checking for the
existence of these lockfiles. As you can imagine, that application
broke over FreeBSD NFS. I worked around this in FreeBSD's Yahoo!
implementation.

I have not looked at the original link bug reported, but I would
wholeheartedly endorse ripping out the "launch a lookup on a
an error in these ops" in all of the NFS ops and just return
the error/or success returned by the original NFS op.

mohan