RELENG_7: swap_pager_getswapspace(3): failed

mustkaru karu.pruun at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 11 15:34:15 PST 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 10:47 PM, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:

> mustkaru wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I updated to RELENG_7 two yesterday, and under usual load started
> > getting hundreds of messages
> >
> > swap_pager_getswapspace(3): failed
> >
> > The system swap is 96% full; it is less than 20% usually under the
> > same load. The system started to kill off processes because of lack of
> > swap space:
> >
> > pid 52606 (thunderbird-bin), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space
> > swap_pager_getswapspace(2): failed
> > pid 13984 (evince), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space
> >
> > I suppose there's no way to get back to the more stable BETA2 ? When
> > cvsuping, I noticed
> >
> > 52815 Nov  8 14:03 vm_page.c
> >
> > had been changed. Might it be related to that? Might a next possible
> > change in that get back a more stable swapper. . .?
>
> This means you ran out of swap space because applications were
> requesting more virtual memory than your system contains.  This is an
> application issue, not a kernel issue.
>
> Kris

I hope so. It is weird though that I run exactly the same number of
applications every day; and I ran the same binary apps on an earlier
version of RELENG_7 (I updated system but not apps), but I never ran
out of swap space; in particular I have never used more than .5 GB
swap. This time, the system was using 1 GB swap. So I suppose I should
start hunting the guilty app.

Must