a better lesskey helper

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Fri Nov 9 13:08:00 PST 2007

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> writes:
>> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>>> zless will do that for you.
>> Now I'm getting a bit confused.  I know you from long before, and I
>> know you wouldn't make mistakes easily.  MY zless here doesn't decode
>> executables and libs, but there's no man page, and zless --help gives
>> only the standard less help info, so I don;'t know what zless does
>> that less didn't do before I changed out the lesspipe.sh on my local
>> system.
>
> "that" refers to Nikolay's setenv trick.  If you actually define
> LESSOPEN in your environment, less will always use it, which may not be
> what you want; instead, you can use less when you want to see the actual
> file and zless when you want it "decoded".

Oh, I see.  Can I ask you to check, please, Dag, does your zless decode
binaries?  Mine didn't, and the lesspipe.sh that's in the sources
(unless another one's hidden somewhere) doesn't allow it either, it only
gave decoding of tar archives and stuff compressed with bzip/gzip.  I'd
really appreciate you doublechecking me on this.  If you say it works to
do the objdump decoding, I will believe you and keep to myself on this.
  Otherwise, I think this deserves going into our sources.