using a raw disk for qemu image

韓家標 Bill Hacker askbill at conducive.net
Wed Nov 7 14:43:49 PST 2007

Juergen Lock wrote:
> In article <473016F5.80209 at gmail.com> you write:
>> I know this is not a FreeBSD question persay but if I have XP installed
>> on an other drive and want to access it with qemu what is the command
>> line for qemu of qemu-img to enable this... before anyone asks I am not
>> using wine because it doesn't run on amd54
>
> Well theoreticall that would be qemu -hda /dev/ad1 (or wherever that other
> drive is), but in this case its unlikely to work since Windows doesn't
> like hardware being changed under it (the hardware qemu emulates
> most likely is different from the one your real system.)  You can read
> more about this topic in the freenode #qemu faq:
> 	http://calamari.reverse-dns.net:980/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-bcc0d7a7641ec611dbe969aa9b8d433e2fc0b903
>
>  HTH,
> 	Juergen

The built-in Qemu smb tool might be less of a problem for WinWOES.  *providing*
you have (at least) one working Win 'machine' - that understands the same fs and
all that - from which to 'map a network drive'.

That at least doesn't trigger the 'new hardware found' cycle.

We've used that to make changes to one problematic .img from another, or read
files off a 'hardware' unit mounted mount_ntfs and exported to Qemu's smb daemon.

HTH,

Bill