[ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

韓家標 Bill Hacker askbill at conducive.net
Wed Nov 7 09:02:15 PST 2007

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

>> Although I am curious to know what happens if you take that SATA
>> ATAPI drive and replace it with another SATA ATAPI drive of a
>> different brand, such as Plextor or Pioneer.  Most of the ATAPI
>> errors I've seen have been caused by ATAPI devices which simply
>> don't implement specific ATAPI commands.  FreeBSD is fairly verbose
>> about reporting such.
>
> Sadly that involves $50 or so I don't have (it was my lucky day when I
> found $1 under the recylcing containers this morning)...

Puhleez! .. /dev/null the poverty reports. Tedious coming from one of Merica's
wealthier counties.

D'you have the *slightest* idea what limited resources *most* folks here have to
work with?  Think Eastern Europe. Asia. 66% tax rates in Canada or Danmark.
Families to feed, and s**t day-jobs.

And use that PATA connection and a salvaged CDR - or borrowed USB one - if you
need to burn a CD in such a hurry.

> in the
> situation your thinking of does the timeout just simplely lock the
> drive up (actually not lock it but effectivally so).... for example:
>
> mount /dev/acd0 /mnt
>
> will complete freeze mount up (luckly not everything else some other
> nameless OS) to the point that ^C, ^Z, kill (w/ and wo/ -9) do
> absulutly nothing to get mount to exit

Interesting way to mount an optical device.

What happens with:

mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom

??

Bill