[ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 02:05:32 PST 2007

Xin LI wrote:

> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>
>> The wiki was not meant to replace the list just be a central record
>> keeping location for the group working on the issue.
>>

> Well, I think that if there is a problem then we need to work it out
> ASAP, and this is not what a wiki for.  What wiki's are better suited
> for is some issues that are not easily resolved, and be documented.

Since I am not the only person with these issues, see "sata ihc9r"
thread in -current, just the only one to document them formally (so far)
[hopefully the other two will write a good summary of the acd issue they
are seeing] there is need for easy reference for anyone working on
patches (or new frameworks such as one of person informed me of
privately).   Among other things the wiki is meant as a way of knowinig
the status of each task (may not be issue based per se).  I suspect some
of these issues may be quickly resolved and the others will require some
research thus they may spread out of a few weeks or months.
> Let's see what the "issues" on the wiki:
>
>  - Mis-numbered adXXX on SATA drives
> This is non-issue.  It's well documented in ata(4) that you can change
> the behavior by removing the anti-foot-shooting option ATA_STATIC_ID
> from your kernel configuration;

The default behaviour should be fixed if it is so easy then.
>  - Wrong SATA type/speed reported
> More information is needed if you really want to have this problem
> resolved, like atacontrol output, etc.

See the SATA ihc9 and previous threads if you really need to know all
the messy details but the bottom line is I have been told by several of
the ATA developers that since they do not have IHC9 machines P35/IHC9
owners where on their own (and thus the need for informal group the wiki
is aimed at)

>  - PATA/SATA co-existence
> Is the PATA chip supported by the driver?  What's its PCI IDs?

You accuse me of not doing my research... a simple search of the various
threads these issues have come up will tell you that:

1. Yes it does show up (I can even boot from it) but it is complete gone
from dmesg (even verbose), pciutil, etc.

2. The answer to the type/speed type issue from the commuhity is the
same one I got here

> Also I would like to say that it is much more useful if you will have
> someone who donate the proper hardware to sos@, our Mr. ATA.  He is very
> knowledgeable about the driver and ATA/SATA stuff, and a very responsive
> person.

1. I will have to look it up but I think he is the one of the people
that told me p35/ihc9 owners where on their own.

2. Some of the issues are pressing and some are just annonyances the
only pressing one for me is the PATA/SATA one and that is likelly to be
the last one fixed because I suspect it relies on fixing the type/speed
and (yet to be documented) acd issue(s).

--
Aryeh M. Friedman
Developer, no business friendly