kernel panic

syle ishere syleishere at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 17:37:33 PDT 2007

I've had a few headaches lately with amd64 on my Dell 2650 server, but been slowly solving them.

I've noticed a few things about options in make.conf breaking things lately to.
For instance, setting CPUTYPE to k8 explicitly in make.conf will segfault the port
mysql-server50 soon as you try to start it up.

Installing pine4 port with Maildir patch will also crash unless you manually incorporate
amd64 patch from this site, http://www.gluelogic.com/code/PINE-maildir/ before building.
I've emailed the maintainer of the maildir patch, but this person has as of yet, not bothered responding.

Qmail from ports will also crash unless you tune 2 things 1) softlimit setting needs to be increased
to allow qmail-smtp more memory when running it and 2) you must patch qmail from ports with the
following : http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2007-October/044434.html or you'll never
send a peice of mail without it segfaulting.

I know these issues are offtopic with loader but it shows to demonstrate setting options in make.conf
does cause alot of problems, and moving to amd64 isn't a quick fix for anything.

I've now removed any CFLAG and CPUTYPE lines out of make.conf permanently. It was causing more problems than good.
I'll try and test my i386 laptop later today without any make.conf options as well to see if your on to something there pluknet.

Dan.