/usr/share/man/man8/MAKEDEV.8

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu Nov 1 06:26:10 PDT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 01:43:41PM +0100 I heard the voice of
Bernd Walter, and lo! it spake thus:

> Show me the positives that outweights the negatives and I'm on your
> side.

Why do you think we're on different sides to begin with?  I've not
advocated removing catman capability, or denied that different
situations have different needs, or that those needs may include
catman, or for that matter said anything at all applicable to tiny
environments or appliance building.  The sole and entire point of my
mail was to provide a handful of data points supporting the idea that
on new, not particularly new, and even pretty freakin' old "normal"
computers, there's no pressing performance need for catman.

That there exist people with even older systems where the situation is
otherwise, or situations with new (but otherwise aimed) systems other
than general purpose systems aimed at workstations and servers, is not
something I've ever denied, but it's also not at all related to what I
was talking about.  None of my statements were ever INTENDED to be
applied in those cases, so why should you be surprised that they're
invalid there?

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net