ZFS does not load and mount at boot time

oschonef at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de oschonef at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu May 31 07:50:45 UTC 2007

Hello Gerrit,

Eines schoenen Tages schrieb Gerrit Kühn:
> I'm using zfs on -currrent in form of a nanobsd image. Until recently I
> used my own script in rc.d/zfs to mount zfs volumes, which I had written
> prior to the import of zfs into -current.
[..]
> When manually running "/etc/rc.d/zfs start", zfs additionally complains
> that it may have been mounted before by a different host, and I have to
> use -f to overcome this.
> Are there any hints how to solve these issues?

If you put zfs_load="YES" into loader.conf, the module will be loaded by the
loader. If, however, the /boot/zfs/zpool.cache is not up-to-date or not even
written (in case of a ro-mount of / in nanobsd) the filesystems will not be
mounted automatically; they have to be imported manually as decribed by
another post in this thread.
I worked around that by symlinking /boot/zfs -> /etc/zfs; therefore
zpool.cache will be saved on the /etc mfs filesystem. On shutdown, I save
zpool.cache to nanobas's configuration slice. The file will then be automatically
copied to /etc/zfs by rc.diskless and the filesystems will be mounted on
boot-time.

HTH,
Oliver