Xorg 7.2 update

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue May 29 18:52:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 08:03:42PM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> [kris] Sorry, but this complete failure of a bug report made me laugh.
>
> Save the time to laugh and better fix the bug,

What kris was trying to point out is that messages of the form "it doesn't
work" will not lead to anyone fixing the bug.  Detailed logs and such
things as make.conf and environment settings will.

fwiw, there are not many more people than kris on the project who have
fixed more bugs than he has.  The work he has done on the past 2 months
in regression-testing xorg, both from the pointyhat side and from the user
side, has been exhaustive.  So if he wants to be a little snippy with
people who aren't willing to do some work themselves, well, ...

> Next time I think twice when I see what crappy answers one gets on a
> mailinglist.

FreeBSD is a participatory development system: users have to help themselves.
If after all the disclaimers and headsup messages people are still in too
much of a hurry to e.g. use script(1) to do their upgrades and then report
detailed results, there's not that much that anyone can do to help.  (Note:
I particularly want to thank the users who did exactly that; they've saved
a lot of people from various troubles.)

This particular upgrade process has produced a great deal of strain on the
ports committers and our users.  Almost everyone has been incredibly patient
as we try to get all the issues sorted out.  I can only ask everybody else
to try to do the same.

mcl