RELENG_6_2 broken on latest -HEAD

LI Xin delphij at delphij.net
Thu May 24 15:20:21 UTC 2007

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2007-05-24 15:52, LI Xin <delphij at delphij.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> It seems that we can not build RELENG_6_2 world with -HEAD userland
>> anymore, after the gcc upgrade.  So the only way to build RELENG_6_2
>> releases is to create a chroot environment for now?
>
> I think this was never really ``supported''.  It may work, but if it
> breaks nobody is going to fix it.
>
> What *is* supported and should always work is building CURRENT on the
> latest RELENG_X branch.  But what you are doing is the reverse...

Okay, I just thought that using chroot to build release is a bit weird :-)

As a side note, my real concern is that, it seems that our build
infrastructure can not bootstrap itself very easily, say it's not "that"
self-contained as I imagined.  After installing a gcc 3.4.6 from ports
collection and override CC/CXX variables, I found that some of the
installed headers and bsd.*.mk is still used during the build, making it
very hard to produce successful build without heavy hack to the source
tree.  I think it's time for me to pursue more about our build skeleton...

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!