sysinstall says "BARF", concerns libdisk and geom_label

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue May 22 11:04:20 UTC 2007

Hello,

when I start sysinstall I get the error message "BARF 148 <88>". The
reason for this is the label of my Windows partion, it is called "Windows
XP" and contains a space character. libdisk/open_disk.c needs to parse the
value of kern.geom.conftxt which contains spaces as field seperator,
therefore it fails.

A quick and dirty workaround would be to skip labels that contain space
characters, which can be easily done in g_label_is_name_ok
(sys/geom/label/g_label.c).

But I am looking for a better solution. So it might be more accurate to
revise libdisk, i.e. improve the parsing of kern.geom.conftxt.

Maybe the best but most time-consuming solution is to change the output of
kern.geom.conftxt to another format, e.g. XML.

Are there any comments or other suggestions?

Björn