ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Mon May 21 16:10:07 UTC 2007

Craig Boston wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 08:30:35PM -0500, Craig Boston wrote:
>> Even the vm.zone breakdown seems to be gone in current so apparently my
>> knowledge of such things is becoming obsolete :)
>
> But vmstat -m still works

> solaris 145806 122884K       - 15319671 16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096
>
> Whoa!  That's a lot of kernel memory.  Meanwhile...
>
> kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.size: 33554944
> (which is just barely above vfs.zfs.arc_min)
>
> So I don't think it's the arc cache (yeah I know that's redundant) that
> is the problem.  Seems like something elsewhere in zfs is allocating
> large amounts of memory and not letting it go, and even the cache is
> having to shrink to its minimum size due to the memory pressure.
>
> It didn't panic this time, so when the tar finished I tried a "zfs
> unmount /usr/ports".  This caused the "solaris" entry to drop down to
> about 64MB, so it's not a leak.  It could just be that ZFS needs lots of
> memory to operate if it keeps a lot of metadata for each file in memory.
>
> The sheer # of allocations still seems excessive though.  It was well
> over 20 million by the time the tar process exited.

I dont suppose that there are any other tunables people could suggest? I
got a shiny new(well old but new to me) dual opteron board and dual 250
sata drives and though i'd try putting it in as my home server with
everything but / on zfs since i've had my /usr/ports on my laptop as
compressed zfs since very shortly after it was commited.
	After a few kmem_map: too small" panics I re-read this thread and put
vm.kmem_size_max and vm.kmem_size up to 512M and vfs.zfs.arc_min
vfs.zfs.arc_max down to 65 megs. This did get me past "portsnap extract"
but a make buildworld still got me the same panic.  vmstat -z showed a
steady growth. This is with a generic -CURRENT from friday. I'm happy to
provide any useful information once I get home and reboot it.

Thanks,
Vince