What is -fPIE (GCC) good for? [Was: Re: strange "Exec format error" (gcc4.2 suspicious)]

Alex Dupre ale at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 21 13:18:34 UTC 2007

Harald Schmalzbauer ha scritto:
> a quick search told me that pie means Posix Independant Executable.

Position, not Posix.

> Has anybody a link handy where I can find an explanation why one would want to
> have this?

 From Wikipedia:

Position-independent executables (PIE) are executable binaries made
entirely from position-independent code. While some systems only run PIC
executables, there are other reasons they are used. PIE binaries are
used in some security-focused Linux distributions to allow PaX or Exec
Shield to use address space layout randomization to prevent attackers
from knowing where existing executable code is during a security attack
using exploits that rely on knowing the offset of the executable code in
the binary, such as return-to-libc attacks.

--
Alex Dupre