HEADS UP: OpenSSL problems after GCC 4.2 upgrade

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Sun May 20 11:45:26 UTC 2007

Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> there were several reports of OpenSSL being broken when compiled with
> GCC 4.2. It turns out OpenSSL uses function casting feature that was
> aggressively de-supported by GCC 4.2 and GCC goes as far as inserting
> invalid instructions ON PURPOSE to discourage the practice.

For the record (since I know several people were asking at BSDCan), this is
a great example of why it makes sense to have libmd as well as libcrypto: A
minimal hashing library which we maintain ourselves is far less likely to
randomly break than a bloated^W more feature-complete library which is
maintained outside of FreeBSD and occasionally imported onto a vendor branch.

Colin Percival