FreeBSD 7.0 using GCC 4?

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun May 13 16:14:59 UTC 2007

LI Xin wrote:
> Alexander Kabaev wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:20:24 +0800
>> LI Xin <delphij at delphij.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Will we be using 4.1.x series or 4.2.x series for 7.0-RELEASE? Just
>>> curious :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> --
>>> Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
>>> FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!
>>>

>> 4.2.0. This is the first compiler version in GCC history to actually
>> shrink compiled boot2 code and that alone gave it many points in 4.1
>> vs. 4.2 shootout. There are other advantages as well. 4.2 can build
>> unpatched firefox and have it working, while 4.1 builds binary with
>> broken relocations, etc.
>>

> Wow, that's great, thanks for the work!
>
> Cheers,

A while ago a discussion herein was triggered about this subject and as
I remember myself, the decission was made in favor of gcc 4.1. Watching
Linux/Gentoo Forums for a while I was reading many suggestions not using
gcc 4.1.1 as it is standard in newest branches/distributions, because of
several serious misbehaviours/generating broken code.

We will see
Oliver