HEADS UP: shared library bump, symbol versioning, libthr change

Alexander Kabaev kabaev at gmail.com
Fri May 11 12:32:06 UTC 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007 10:07:51 -0400 (EDT)
Daniel Eischen <eischen at vigrid.com> wrote:

> Sometime this coming weekend (May 11-13), I'll be committing the
> following patch:
>
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/symver/bump_symver.diffs.050207
>
> What does this do?
>
>    o All library versions that haven't already been bumped and
>      that are not new to 7.0 will be bumped.

Hi,

I always had a problem with wholesome bumpings like these. What is the
justification for such a broad sweep? libc bump CAN NOT be made an
excuse for cascaded bumps. FreeBSD does not record LIBC dependency into
shared libraries themselves, so as long as libc sybols used by the
shared library did not change ABI between libc.so.6 and libc.so.7, old
shared libraries will happily work with both. If there are are symbols
that are missing or have changed in libc.so.7 that prevent it from
being a perfect superset of libc.so.6, can we consider adding them back
instead, with FBSD_1.0 version and making changed symbols FBSD_1.1 or
some such? Sure, this will break older unversioned -current binaries as
they will start resolving to FBSD_1.0 symbols, but your bump will
obsolete them too, so -current users will need to recompile either way.

I always thought that original LIBC bump was a mistake.

Please consider this an objection until this matter is discussed in
more detail.
--
Alexander Kabaev