Experiences with 7.0-CURRENT and vmware.

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri May 11 07:45:35 UTC 2007

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 08:24:18PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> Maybe there are no other valid choices provided by vmware.

>>> It's a "quality factor" that tries to estimate and rank the various
>>> properties of time counters (higher = better).
>> Basically sample rate?
>
> I think things like accuracy, query cost, stability.
>
> Kris

Clock skew is a really big issue with VMWare and multiple cores. I'm
running amd64, and I've noticed that if I don't sync the clocks
regularly and run CPU intensive compiles, the clocks will skew a lot
(10~30 minutes if running buildworld over a 1.5 hour period), and when I
try and reboot the machine it fails to notify the running daemons that
they need to be killed.

For now I'm switching my VM back to single core, but it should be noted
that this is a big issue and multicore vmware should not be tried (at
least with FreeBSD, as much as other OSes), because of the realtime
clock syncing problem.

-Garrett