We don't really need two FTP daemons

Wojciech A. Koszek wkoszek at freebsd.org
Thu May 10 13:12:55 UTC 2007

Hello,

There is a lot of confusion caused by the fact of having two instances
of the FTP daemon present in our source tree.

First one is src/libexed/ftpd/...

Second one lies in src/contrib/lukemftpd/...

We don't need to have both of them, unless one has much more powerful
functionality over the second. However, in my opinion the major purpose
of having FTP daemon in the base is possibility of fast configuration
with minimal cost, just to "get it up and running".

I think first server fullfills this requirement.

If you're FreeBSD user and administrator, there are several advantages
of having only one FTP server.

I think first daemon was security reviewed by the previous FreeBSD
security officer, which is the biggest plus. lukemftpd(8) had some well
known problems present in the past.

The first is updated and it's functionality is enhanced to meet
standards (see latest changes from Yar Tichy).

Cost of maintainance of one server is lower.

It saves a lot of confusion for users -- we have both daemons present in
a inetd.conf(8) file, without mentioning, whether a first is more
powerfull than the second one.

Some discussions with FreeBSD developers made me feel that we may really
want to sort a "double FTP daemon" issue out.

Could we decide if we really want to support lukemftpd(8) ?

Thanks,

--
Wojciech A. Koszek
wkoszek at FreeBSD.org