HEADS UP: shared library bump, symbol versioning, libthr change

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sun May 6 18:00:16 UTC 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Daniel Eischen wrote:

Hi,

thanks a lot for all the work!

>    by bumping shared library versions.  You can disable
>    symbol versioning by setting NO_SYMVER.

I wonder if we should plug this in into the WITH/WITHOUT_* framework
of HEAD instead of adding new NO_* variables?

>  o The default threading library is changed from libpthread
>    to libthr.  libthr remains installed as libthr, libpthread
>    is installed as libkse, and libpthread will link to libthr
>    by default.  Compiling with -pthread will continue to work
>    as before.  You can override the default library by setting
>    DEFAULT_THREAD_LIBRARY=libpthread or libc_r before a
>    buildworld/installworld.

It's DEFAULT_THREAD_LIB= according to your patch.

Do you think that DEFAULT_THREAD_LIB=libpthread could cause some
confusion because that would actually be libthr? Shouldn't we
rename that to libkse for the selection too and leave libpthread
unused as a generic term?

/bz