new unionfs & moving files around
ivoras at fer.hr
Fri May 4 10:39:45 UTC 2007
This is the situation:
- there's one file system on a RAID controller, somewhat slow and with
limited space, let's call it "production"
- there's another file system on a big IDE drive
- a lot of files are saved on the production file system, but the
usefulness of that data shaply declines with time (recent files
absolutely need to be kept, but older files are optional)
- create a unionfs that covers both file systems, so that new files are
created on the RAID-backed file system, but all files are visible
- create a cron job that moves older files from the production file
system to the spare file system
I've not started it yet (waiting for csup to RELENG_6) but is there any
"hidden" reason this shouldn't work? I'm asking because the files will
be moved from one part of the unionfs (upper) to the other (lower), on
different file systems, probably while concurrently accessed.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 249 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
Url : http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/attachments/20070504/36f53a03/signature.pgp
More information about the freebsd-current