[HEADS UP] a new EXPERIMENTAL port emulators/linux_base-fc6

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Tue Mar 27 20:16:57 UTC 2007

Hi!

I've just committed a new EXPERIMENTAL port emulators/linux_base-fc6.

ATTENTION! The port is experimental for now. Use it at your own risk. This
port may be used only with 7-CURRENT and compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16.

Said that I should admit that I've been using this port with FC4
infrastructure ports successfully at -CURRENT for about several months
with following applications:
  - print/acroread7
  - www/linux-opera
  - www/linux-firefox
  - www/linux-flashplugin7
  - mail/linux-thunderbird
  - multimedia/linux-realplayer
  - net/skype (works fine but coredumps when exitting -- under investigation)
  - www/linux-mozilla -- doesn't run (some new... or old libraries are needed)

To use/test the port (along with linux FC4 infrastructure ports) you
should do:

0. Backup all your vital information!
1. Remove the current linux base port.
2. Add to your /etc/make.conf "OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=fc6".
3. Make sure no linux application is running.
4. Set apropriate sysctl (compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16).
5. Install emulation/linux_base-fc6.
5a. Those who use linux ports with automatic plist building should
    apply the following patch:
    ftp://mail.ipt.ru/pub/FreeBSD/patches/bsd.linux-rpm.mk-autoplist.diff

That should be enough at most circumstances. If you have difficulties,
please be sure to expand item 1 to:

1a. Remove all ports which depends on linux base port.
1b. Remove linux base port.
1c. Clean /compat/linux/ directory.

In case you want to get rid of the port, deinstall it, then return
back compat.linux.osrelease to 2.4.2 (as usual make sure that no
linux application is running) and remove from /etc/make.conf the line
containing the OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT variable.

All questions, reports, suggestions etc. please route to
freebsd-emulation at .

Fedora Core 6 ports (FC6 infrastructure ports) are coming soon... ;-)

This port wouldn't appear without netchild's help.
Thank you, Alexander!

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)