FreeBSD DTrace Headers

Harrison Grundy astrodog at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 00:23:28 UTC 2007

Based on what I've read from John Birrell in various postings, it
appears that the leading reason DTrace cannot be in GENERIC, or be made
into a module, is the lack of BSD-licensed DTrace headers.

As a result, it appears that the only way to allow FreeBSD DTrace to
move forward is the creation of BSD-licensed headers, created from a
description of what is needed from the Sun CDDL headers.

So, I'm trying to find out who would be interested in documenting
headers, and who would be interested in writing the new versions. I
don't yet know exactly what will be involved in this, but it appears to
me, that getting this done is really the only realistic way to get this
done, as it appears Sun has not responded to requests to relicense the
headers.

If anyone else is interested in getting this done, or if anyone has some
other ideas on how to get the same end result, I'd be most interested in
hearing about it,

--- Harrison Grundy